Monday, June 11, 2012

Long Time No Blog!

May 2012 will go down as a total blur. I had a very small profit in tourneys but spent almost all of my free time getting our new cottage ready. It seemed like all of our energies over the winter were into getting ready for when we opened the cottage. We spent almost every weekend at the cottage in May which made getting volume in very difficult however I still tried to play as much as I could. A small profit is always better than a loss although mentally sometimes I have found it tough to get up the desire to play when it feels like the wins are few and far between.

Rather than worry so much about how much volume I am getting in, I have tried to focus on making really good decisions when I play. One of the things that I have tried to use to help me do that is PL8 MTTs which I find really help you on playing proper position and reading flops and board textures. I had a couple of scores the same night I played these O8 tourneys so I have continued to play these to try to get some volume in.

I have also been experimenting with some other forms of poker like 6 max hypers. These seem to be nothing more than life tilting to me although I think if I focused on them, I can make them work. The problem for me is they just don't seem fun because to be profitable you need about 15-20 going which means you rarely if ever see what happened in them during your allins. They seem like such a roller coaster however the majority of the players make several fundamental errors which means the game is beatable.

My private coaching has been a bit of a revolving door as I had 2 really good students drop out because they couldn't dedicate enough time to practice so they did not want to continue however I picked up another new student also from the UK. I feel like I am doing a great job getting ready for the next Austin Powers movie listening to these awesome accents. I have some really good ideas to change my private coaching sessions into something a bit different. I am excited to try it out soon just need a couple of more students to get it going the way I think it will work preferably from the UK or around that time zone.

That brings me to my next brag about MWCON1. Martin who is a really great guy has been my student for about 3 months or so. The last time I blogged was about him getting a 6k+ score. His biggest lifetime score on stars was $278 before I started coaching him. I have to say he did all the work as all I did was point him into the right direction. Even after his 6k score he still took out sessions seriously. I coached him again this morning and tonight railed and watched him make another FT in the same tourney as last time this time chopping heads up for $9k. Basically Martin has about $15k in profit after pretty much breaking even before this. Martin's success makes me very excited about coaching more and I can't wait to take on more students.

My 40th birthday is fast approaching, it seems like it will be here so quickly but I am not giving in and hope to continue to improve this year's results no matter how far off target I am for now. I hope to blog some more in June hopefully about some really big wins of my own!

No comments: