Sunday, January 08, 2012

2012 - A New Year - Getting Back to Winning (and blogging)

It’s been at least 3-4 years since I have blogged on a regular basis. I mostly stopped because I felt like I didn’t have the time and people didn’t really care what I had to say. I still don’t have the time and still don’t feel like I have much to say but I am starting again in 2012 for a bunch of different reasons.

The biggest reason is I feel like blogging and talking about poker is what made me very successful in the first place. I got into poker different than most in that when the poker boom hit in 2003 I was already 31. I didn’t get into playing right away and was mostly a home game player until I really started to excel online sometime in 2007. Even in 2007 the wins online were in lower stakes but I had a heck of a time doing it and put the time in to keep improving. In 2010 things kind of changed where I went on a run for 9 months where I was making more money playing than working while at the same time keeping a full time job. Even in 2010 when I was doing so well poker was still fun to me, lots of fun and I really enjoyed the rush of playing.

2011 was a very strange year not just for me but the whole poker world. It started out for me great, January - February I kept up the same pace I did in 2010 and was hoping I could top the 50k profit from the previous year. Sometime in March things kind of went south and the downswing started even though March showed a small profit. Once April hit, it kind of felt like everything was falling apart and then April 15 things changed forever. Enough was written about Black Friday, I don’t need to say more, I consider myself very lucky. I had just signed the Cardrunners deal and I thought I might lose that. Cardrunners has been great and they really know how to keep this product fresh before and after Black Friday. I was able to keep playing on stars (one of the benefits of being Canadian). I also somehow managed to cash out every penny I had out of FTP before it went under.

After black Friday and into May, I couldn’t even buy a win; it felt like nothing went right. I took breaks, played everyday, watched videos, ignored poker and no matter what nothing seemed to go right. I tried to stay positive but it seemed like the game changed so much and I couldn't adjust.

Then the first day of June hit and I won the shrunken $3r for a good score making up all my losses for the past 2 months. I felt like that was my ticket back to success and I kind of ran with it turning over $9k profit in June and July. The summer is always a difficult time to put volume in as we are running to the cottage alot and even though we have internet there, I never play there.

Onto August and a trip to Vegas for our 15th anniversary which was a great time while there I played 3 mtts and shipped 2 for over 13k in profit. I didn’t play cash or anything else but felt like for the first time in a long time I was ready for a break on an up note. I didn’t play again in the month of August until the last couple of days of the month.

September was another losing month which made 3 for the year; I didn’t really worry too much about it since I had been on such a good run. October and November showed a very small profit which as always is better than a loss; I felt good going into December. I had some good scores at the beginning of December and played the huge Sunday Million with the 12m in prize money without success. December ended with microscopic profit however I barely played during the month as we were super busy in December with the holidays and parties, travel etc.

I don’t feel like 2011 was a fail for one it brought me Cardrunners, for 2 I still had a good profit ($17k plus about $12k live). I also restored a lot of my love for live poker which had basically disappeared in 2010.

I am very excited for 2012; it’s already started off great with my biggest online score since before black Friday on New Year’s Day. I have said this before but I am no doubt one of the luckiest guys alive. My wife is super supportive of what I do and she does everything she can to help me be successful at work and poker. I am really hoping to spend more time in 2012 getting better as still feel like I have a lot of spots of my game that need improvement.

I am going to try to blog at least twice a month but hopefully no less than once just to talk about how things have been going and where I hope they will go.


you can also see this blog on cardrunners at http://www.cardrunners.com/blog/zachjackdad

No comments: